Atlanta Family Attorney
Atlanta Family Law Attorney – Kelly K. Schiffer, P.C.
Family law matters can be emotionally challenging and legally complex. Whether you are going through a divorce,
dealing with child custody disputes, or facing any other family-related legal issue, it is crucial to have a
skilled attorney by your side to guide you through the process and protect your best interests. At Kelly K.
Schiffer, P.C., we understand the importance of providing compassionate yet effective legal representation to
our clients in Atlanta.
When to Hire a Family Attorney
When facing family law matters, it can be beneficial to hire a family attorney who can ensure that your rights
and interests are protected. There are several situations where hiring a family attorney would be advisable:
- Divorce: If you are contemplating or going through a divorce, a family attorney can help you navigate the
complex legal process, including divorce settlements, child custody, spousal support, and division of
- Child Custody: When disputes arise regarding child custody and visitation rights, a family attorney can
assist in negotiating or litigating the best possible outcome for both you and your children.
- Child Support: If you need assistance in determining child support amounts or modifying existing child
support orders, a family attorney can help you understand the relevant laws and protect your child’s
- Adoption: Adopting a child involves extensive legal processes, and a family attorney can guide you through
the paperwork, home studies, and court hearings to ensure a successful adoption.
- Domestic Violence: If you or your children are victims of domestic violence, a family attorney can help you
obtain protective orders and create a safety plan to protect your well-being.
How an Attorney Can Help
Hiring a family attorney brings numerous advantages. An experienced attorney can provide you with invaluable
legal advice, handle all necessary documentation, negotiate on your behalf, and represent you in court if
needed. They understand the laws and regulations specific to family law, ensuring that your case is handled
efficiently and with the best possible outcome in mind. By working closely with a skilled attorney, you can
gain peace of mind and minimize the stress often associated with family law disputes.
How Much Does It Cost?
The cost of hiring a family attorney may vary depending on various factors, such as the complexity of your case,
the attorney’s experience and reputation, the location, and the specific services required. It is essential to
discuss fees and billing arrangements with your attorney during the initial consultation. Some common fee
- Hourly Rate: Attorneys may charge an hourly rate for their services, where you will be billed for the time
spent on your case.
- Flat Fee: In some cases, attorneys may offer a flat fee for specific services, such as preparing documents
or handling uncontested divorces.
- Retainer Fee: Attorneys often require an upfront retainer fee, which is an advance payment to secure their
services. The attorney will bill against this retainer as the case progresses.
- Contingency Fee: In certain situations, such as personal injury cases, attorneys may work on a contingency
fee basis, where they only get paid if you win your case.
It is important to have a clear understanding of the fees and payment arrangements before hiring a family
attorney, ensuring that you can financially afford their services.
What Can I Recover?
The potential outcomes and recoveries in a family law case vary based on the specific circumstances and
applicable laws. Some of the common things you may recover or achieve with the assistance of a family attorney
- Division of Assets: If you are going through a divorce, a family attorney can help ensure a fair division of
marital assets, including property, bank accounts, retirement funds, and investments.
- Child Custody and Support: A family attorney can advocate for your rights as a parent and help establish
fair custody and visitation arrangements, as well as obtain appropriate child support to meet your child’s
- Spousal Support: If you are eligible for spousal support (also known as alimony), a family attorney can help
you secure the appropriate financial support based on the specific circumstances of your case.
- Protection from Domestic Violence: If you or your children have experienced domestic violence, a family
attorney can help you obtain protective orders to ensure your safety and the safety of your children.
- Adoption: With the assistance of a family attorney, you can successfully navigate the adoption process and
welcome a new child into your family.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Hiring a Family Attorney
There are several advantages and disadvantages to consider when deciding whether to hire a family attorney for
- Expertise: Family attorneys have in-depth knowledge and experience in handling various family law matters,
ensuring that your case is handled with the utmost professionalism and expertise.
- Legal Guidance: An attorney can provide you with essential legal advice and guidance, helping you understand
your rights and options in the legal process.
- Emotional Support: Family law matters can be emotionally challenging, and having a compassionate attorney
by your side can provide the much-needed emotional support during this difficult time.
- Negotiation and Representation: A skilled family attorney will negotiate on your behalf and represent you in
court if necessary, working towards achieving the best possible outcome for your case.
- Reduce Stress: By having an attorney handle the legal aspects of your case, you can focus on other important
matters while reducing stress and anxiety.
- Cost: Hiring a family attorney can be expensive, especially if your case is complex or requires extensive
litigation. It is important to consider the potential financial implications before making a decision.
- Lack of Control: When you hire an attorney, you must trust their expertise and judgment, which means giving
up some degree of control over the outcome of your case.
- Delays: Legal proceedings can often take time, and there may be delays in the resolution of your case due to
court schedules, opposing parties, or other factors beyond your attorney’s control.
Choosing the Best Family Attorney for Your Case
Selecting the right family attorney is crucial to ensure that your case is handled effectively and with your best
interests in mind. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a family attorney:
- Experience: Look for an attorney who specializes in family law and has extensive experience in handling cases
similar to yours.
- Reputation: Research the attorney’s reputation and check client reviews and testimonials to get an idea of
their professionalism and success rate.
- Communication: Effective communication is essential in any attorney-client relationship. Choose an attorney
who is responsive, listens to your concerns, and communicates clearly.
- Compatibility: It is important to feel comfortable and trust your attorney. Schedule an initial consultation
to assess the attorney’s personality, approach, and how well you connect.
- Availability: Family law matters require timely action, so it is crucial to choose an attorney who can
dedicate sufficient time and attention to your case.
- Fee Structure: Discuss the attorney’s fee structure and ensure it aligns with your budget and financial
By considering these factors and conducting thorough research, you can increase the likelihood of finding the
best family attorney for your specific needs.
Family law matters can be complex and emotionally challenging, making it crucial to have a skilled family
attorney by your side. Whether you are going through a divorce, child custody dispute, or any other family-related
legal issue, hiring a family attorney ensures that your rights and best interests are protected. An experienced
attorney can guide you through the legal process, provide valuable advice, and represent you in court if necessary.
While there may be costs and disadvantages associated with hiring an attorney, the advantages outweigh them, as
it can significantly reduce stress, provide expertise, and increase your chances of achieving a favorable outcome.
Remember to choose the best family attorney for your case by considering factors such as experience, reputation,
communication, compatibility, and availability. With the right attorney by your side, you can navigate through
your family law matter with confidence and peace of mind.